Kaya, Chris, Becky & Alexa

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Growth Measurements

This weekend the girls and I participated in a research study that measures the growth and development of Arizona children.  We were among the very last of 10,000 children surveyed so It may not be too long (in research time) before the study is completed.  As they told me upfront, we didn't get much information on the girls individual development but I did get their official measurements.  Unlike the doctors office, who seems to generally be happy if they get a measurements somewhere within a few pounds or inches, they measured each of the girls at least twice so I am pretty confident in these measurements.

Both girls were born at nearly the top of the charts for weight and longer than average and then grew much slower than normal to get closer to where Chris and I were both growing up (as in tiny), although they both seem to have stabilized into fairly consistent growth, so I think it is at least possible they won't be the smallest in their classes.  I figured this was as good of a place as any to record it.  Their official measurements are:

Alexa - 56 months (4 2/3rds years) - 39.2 lbs and 40.4 inches.  This places her at about 30 percentile height and about 60 percentile for weight.  This is pretty much where she has been since about 15 months old.   I feel like maybe I should be concerned about the mismatch in the percentile between height and weight, but we are currently somewhat between doctors so I don't really have a good medical sounding board to discuss with.  On the other hand, at just under 40 pounds, just one pound can dramatically change the percentile, so I probably should not worry much right now.  She is happy, healthy, active and eats healthy food, so not much I could/would change anyway.

Kaya - 22 months - 24.6 lbs and 32.25 inches.  This places her at just about 25 percentile in height and about 30 percentile or so in weight.  She is pretty much the exact same length Alexa was at this age and about 1.5 lbs lighter.

The moral of the story is, when I pick them both up at the same time, I am getting the equivalent of a 65lb weight workout!! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment