Kaya, Chris, Becky & Alexa

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Kaya is really learning signs!!

Kaya has made some fantastic progress on her signs the last few days.

Last night at dinner I am not sure how it started, but Alexa was "taking" pictures with her pretend camera and saying "Say Cheese!!!" I happened to look over at Kaya and she was signing Cheese with the biggest cheesy grin on her face (pun intended).

Tonight I was reading a baby word book with Kaya and she signed apple (big kudos to Tessa, her day care provider for that one!!) and then I was showing her signs of the other objects on the page and she was copying almost all of them - cup, car, baby - all new signs. Unfortunately, she has stubbornly refused to sign Daddy. Every time we try to encourage that she signs and says Mommy! I just realized I really should have tried Daddy when she was being so cooperative earlier!! oh well....

Kaya's spoken vocabulary has also noticeably improved in the last few weeks - in quantity if not understandability. Many of the words you pretty much have to know what she is saying to understand.

Alexa is doing great still to, if she isn't at 100 by now I am sure she will be by the end of the weekend, and I am pretty confident we have introduced her to at least 150 signs. We are also working on learning "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and have almost mastered the second line. Hoping we might learn the third line this weekend.

I would say we are making fantastic progress for under five weeks or not particularly intensive effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment