So, Friday night I got the the girls down on time and with zero fuss - I should have known that luck wouldn't last. It lasted just about 8 hours.
At 3am Saturday, Kaya woke up, which is about normal or just a tad early. The dogs were sleeping on the floor in our room, which is also normal. What was not normal is somehow I failed to navigate the doggie mine-field, ending up tripping over Odin and smacking face first into his gigantic, and hard - did I mention hard?, head. I felt my nose immediately start gushing blood. So there I was trying to recover my bearings and keep blood from getting everywhere - bed, carpet, etc, but apparently, Chris, in his 3am haze, did not quite grasp the situation. I have what seemed like a handful of blood and he hands me a tissue and thinks he can go back to sleep. Clearly I was not doing an adequate job on conveying the situation. So, I try to get myself off the floor and make it the 10 feet to the bathroom - and at least bleed on the tile instead of the carpet. Still 3am, still pitch dark in the bedroom, and apparently still a doggie minefield - I trip over a dog AGAIN! This time the scream finally conveys the urgency of the situation and awoke Chris enough to make him realize I really need some assistance. Don't forget the original reason for getting up, Kaya is still crying in her room through all this...
To Chris' credit, after he actually woke up, he went above and beyond, even digging out the carpet cleaner to attack the carpet while I was cleaning myself up. It took about 30 minutes, but we managed to get most of the blood off me, the carpet, tile, clothes, and furniture - I think I contained most of the blood from the first fall, but my second fall had managed to splatter a got 4 foot wide swath. Yikes!
I went to Urgent Care later in the day and confirmed that I had indeed broken my nose. The doctor there said that since the break was right at the end of the bone, in all likelihood an ENT won't recommend any further treatment, but did recommend I see one as soon as I can just to verify that, especially since even with the swelling I can feel a hard bump where there wasn't one before.
Despite the break, it really doesn't hurt all that much for the most part - it doesn't feel good but with some Tylenol and avoiding making faces that wrinkle my nose and I would say it is minimal pain. Late in the day yesterday I did start hurting a little more, but this morning it is back to very little discomfort - although there is still swelling. No bruising or black eyes yet, so my fingers are crossed that there won't be any - I have a client meeting this week sometime and I really would rather not have to explain two black eyes.
I would like to report that the rest of the day went well to make up for my bad luck, but unfortunately I can't. Alexa had one of her worst nights recently absolutely refusing to get ready for bed and then refusing to go to bed. I can't not believe what Kaya is capable of sleeping through, but I am grateful she can. We finally moved Kaya into the crib in Alexa's room (now the "Girls' Room) a few weeks ago after waiting for so long to do so because I was afraid of Alexa keeping Kaya up. Once or twice a week I think Alexa does wake and/or keep Kaya up, but generally Kaya just sleeps right through it all, which is great because it means we can reclaim our guest room for guests, just in time for the Holiday Season - hard to believe it is still well over 100 degrees but we are already thinking about Holiday guests.
Our holiday season starts a little early, basically with Kaya's birthday in Oct, then Halloween, which qualifies as a holiday at our house because we go to town with outdoor decorations, I will definitely have to remember to post pictures this year. We also host Thanksgiving at our house every year - all friends and family welcome, then Alexa's birthday and Christmas.
No comments:
Post a Comment