Kaya, Chris, Becky & Alexa

Thursday, August 5, 2010

What I did this Summer - Chris

Chris' summer involved a lot more doctor visits than mine did. The first week in June he was having some stomach pains and after a visit to our family doctor had scheduled an ultrasound - mainly to see if he had gall stones. Less than 24 hours before his US appointment, he was in the ER for stomach pains and yep, it was gall stones. The ER determined e needed to have his gall bladder out, the sooner the better. Well, sooner was relative I guess because he was in the hospital for a full 24 hours before they actually performed the surgery, including two separate trips to pre-op. I had the same procedure at the same hospital in fall 2007 so we thought we knew what to expect but instead of the nice little puncture holes I had that were glued and/or taped shut, Chris ended up with three incisions with a combined 12 staples and one open incision with a drain in it. I had never actually seen medical staples - I hadn't realized that they are pretty much exactly like staples used to put together really large stacks of paper - heavy duty, industrial, 100+ page staples. Yikes!!

I had actually been offered the option to go home only hours after my surgery, but since Chris' surgery wasn't completed until early evening we figured he would need to stay at least one night. Then, by 8 pm the next night and still no doctor we figured he was staying another, but wouldn't you know that only after I had gotten the girls to sleep and got to bed myself, then he was discharged.... luckily my mom had stayed the night. Discharge instructions were to have the staples removed in a week, and no lifting more than 5 pounds for four weeks! Very nice with a 3 year old and a 7 month old...

Just as Chris finished his recovery from that surgery, he had another. Luckily, this one was planned and a much more fun reason - in early July he got Lasik. He just had his one-month check up and he went from not being able to even see the bedside clock without glasses/contacts to 20/15 vision. Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment